Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It begins

I was never a big fan of blogging. It never really appealed to me until I stumbled across Amina Arraf's blog which was extremely inspiring. With the help and support of a few friends, along with the ridiculous amount of free time one tends to accumulate living in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia), I figured I might as well give it a shot; see what comes up. I didn't really set a clear purpose or objective for this blog. After having a good 15 minute contemplation on whether I want to go embark upon this I decided I should (It needed some thought because I wasn't planning on starting something and giving up on it half way through).

A few weeks ago, I traveled to meet up with a few friends in a city near mine. After coming back, something stuck with me. There was something on my mind I just couldn't really put my finger on it. I completely disregarded it and went on with my 14 hour shifts 6 days a week. One morning, as I was checking my mail, I saw an email from a friend talking about the potential increase in the nationalization percentage of the workforce. It was/is a huge topic amongst a cloud of debate. 6 people were in the forward and we kept messaging back and forth arguing about the subject matter, what it means, what it entails, the pros and cons of it, and how/when it would be put into action. That's when it hit me. This is what's been missing. I have been here for 2 years and the number of intellectual debates that revolved around anything that's not hot actresses/singers and the likes were close to none. Now I'm not sitting here claiming to be the philosophical guru of this day and age; much like every other guy, women are of interest to me, but it is a completely different story when this is ALL that is being talked about. Not to undermine the people I see here, it's just that they're not as interested in self-development, or anything else for that matter, as I had hoped. Some got overthrown with depression from the ever-so exciting life here that all they care about is the salary that comes knocking at the end of the month only to disappear half way through. As much as I attempted to bring something interesting to the table it all backfired with a reciprocated level of excitement about staying home and watching TV.

Limiting myself to the few I have direct contact with will surely destroy whatever energy and optimism I have left. By expanding the circle I'm hoping this will get me to where I want to go. Writing this was much simpler than I thought,,,didn't really think whilst writing. Until the next post,,,


No comments:

Post a Comment